|Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles|
Cover of the Mises Institute's 2004 edition of Man, Economy, and State.
Man, Economy, and State: A Treatise on Economic Principles, first published in 1962, is a book on economics by Murray Rothbard, and is one of the most important books in the Austrian School of economics (others are Ludwig von Mises' The Theory of Money and Credit and Human Action). Economist Walter Block has described this volume as "excruciatingly brilliant." Wendy McElroy credits the book as being "solely responsible for turning [her] from the advocacy of limited government to a lifetime of work within the individualist-anarchist tradition."
When originally published in 1962, the final eight chapters were removed for political reasons; these were finally published as Power and Market in 1970. The 2004 edition published by the Ludwig von Mises Institute combines both books in a single volume. This book provides a discussion of both microeconomics and macroeconomics.
- Fundamentals of Human Action
- Direct Exchange
- The Pattern of Indirect Exchange
- Prices and Consumption
- Production: The Structure
- Production: The Rate of Interest and Its Determination
- Production: General Pricing of the Factors
- Production: Entrepreneurship and Change
- Production: Particular Factor Prices and Productive Incomes
- Monopoly and Competition
- Money and Its Purchasing Power
- The Economics of Violent Intervention in the Market
Rothbard describes the contents in his preface on pages xciv - xcv.
Publishing history in English Edit
- Princeton, NJ: D. Van Nostrand Co. with the William Volker Fund, 1962. (Two volumes in hardcover).
- New York: Institute for Humane Studies, New York University Press, 1981. hardcover: ISBN 0-8147-5380-9. softcover: ISBN 0-910884-27-7
- Auburn, Alabama: Ludwig von Mises Institute, 1993. (One volume in softcover; 987 pages.) ISBN 0-8402-1223-2.
- Man, Economy & State with Power and Market (The Scholar's Edition). Ludwig von Mises Institute, 2004. ISBN 0-945466-30-7.
- ↑ http://www.lewrockwell.com/block/block21.html
- ↑ McElroy, Wendy. "Rothbard as System-Builder: A Tribute". Liberty Magazine. http://www.wendymcelroy.com/articles/rothbard.html.
- Man, Economy, and State with Power and Market (The Scholar's Edition) at the Ludwig von Mises Institute:
- Print editions from LVMI:
- [https://mises.org/store/Product2.aspx?ProductId=177 Scholar's Edition
- [https://mises.org/store/Product2.aspx?ProductId=322 Power and Market
- Man, Economy, and State — Book Review/Summary by Ben Best.
|This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia (view authors).|